Will details update automtically, and will unsubscribed email adresses be re-imported?

contact list unsubscribe updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DonnaSouth

DonnaSouth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

Hiya,

I'm planning to export my entire main contact list to Excel so I can go through it and improve the data (names in name fields where absent, amending what fields certain criteria are under, that sort of thing). Mostly because when I set it up, I fooloshly didn't think too far into the future as to how we could use the data in there when contrasted with the email click and open reports. SO, big job ahead for me but will be worth the effort, I think.

Some of the information I import back IN will come from a different spreadhseet than what I've just imported out, even though those people are on the existing list, just with less information. We're a membership organisation, and I will import member information straight from our member database so I can pull in more information than what I have.

I have two questions:

1. If a contact is already on my mailing list (which they all will be), when I import this new updated list over the top of it, will it replace the details already on Benchmark for those people? And if so, will it replace/update not only fields that have changed but also delete fields that DID have information, but now should be blank? The changes I'm making will affect how my emails are segmented, so I want to be sure I get it right.

2. As I will be importing information from my member database, I am concerned there may be one or two emails in there that have unsbsribed from our mailing list previously. If I attempt to import those emails into my Contact List, will Benchmark automatically pull them out? I don't want to accidentally start emailing someone who has unsubscribed from my emails.

I hope this makes sense - I've tried to write it without the overhanging assumption that what I'm saying makes perfect sense to everyone, not just those in my office, but it is Friday after all :) If I need to clarify something please let me know :)

Appreciate any help, advice, guidance or direction you can offer! :)

Donna :)

#2 benchmarkandy

benchmarkandy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:12 AM

Hey Donna!

Here's the response from our support team:

1.  Yes, our system will update the contact information if there is different information in the new spreadsheet your are uploading.  If there is existing information and you are uploading with blank fields, the system will not delete the information and will retain the old information.

2.  As long as the contacts who have unsbuscribed from you are in your Master Unsubscribe List, our system will automatically prevent these contacts from being uploaded.  Also as a safeguard, when sending emails, our system will reference this list again and prevent any unsubscribes from receiving and email.

Hope that helps!

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

Andy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contact list, unsubscribe, updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users