List Segmenting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_benchmarkmichelle_*

Guest_benchmarkmichelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

Unless you have a very small list or work in a very niche market, chances are your subscribers fall into different categories. There are four main categories that you will want to segment your lists by in order to maximize your email marketing experience.

1. The Responders:
Benchmark Email will keep track of who opened your email and clicked on your links. These are your responders. You'll want to keep these contacts in a list so that you can reward them for their interest and loyalty. Ideally, you want all of your contacts to land on this list.

2. The New Subscribers:
These are the contacts who have signed up within your last email cycle or so and you'll want to pay special attention to them. By having them on their own list, you will be able to send unique promotions to them as a way of saying thank you for being a new subscriber. Once you begin to collect data on the way they respond to your emails, you can then move them to the next appropriate list.

3. The Openers:
If you have contacts who have opened your email but fail to do anything beyond that, like clicking on your link(s), you'll want to experiment with the emails you send to them in the hopes that they change from an "opener" to a "responder". Having them on a separate list will allow you to customize the email content and hopefully discover a formula that will encourage more involvement from them.

4. The Deadbeats:
These are your subscribers who do not open your emails at all. You may want to try a few different tactics with subject lines and date/time you send the email to these contacts to see if you can prompt some sort of response out of them. At some point, though, you may want to consider removing them from your account all together so that you are not paying for emails to contacts that may have lost interest.

There are several other types of segments you can create in order to maximize your results. Explore the segment feature of your Benchmark Email account to find out which will work best for you!

#2 DonH

DonH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I realize that you posted this long ago, but I just now playing around with segments.

You list 4 categories that would be excellent segments. Unless I've totally missed the criteria when building segments, I don't see how that can be done without manually going through your lists and assigning.

If I missed it, please educate me. If they are not included criteria, each should be.

#3 benchmarkandy

benchmarkandy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

DonH-

At this point in time, our segmentation tool only works based off of content within a field on the contact list. You can propose your idea in our Feature Request Forum.

Hope this helps,

Andy

#4 Cre8tiveApps

Cre8tiveApps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

So, we are an app developer.  Our app targets people that are in the process of buying a home and helps them keep organized.  However, the app is also a branding tool for real estate agents.  Therefore, we have 2 different customer types and therefore 2 lists.

The newsletter content I send to each list is different.  For the app users, we are giving them tips on how to use the app, information on new releases, etc.   For the agents, we are sending information on how to leverage the app and branding to grow their business, how to work with buyers that are using the app to improve their business engagement with the client, etc.

Now, I want the agents to see how we are promoting the app to the end users because this ultimately helps the agents.  But I don't want agents to feel like we are bombarding them with newsletters and give them the option of opting out of receiving the end user newsletter.  Should we have agents on both lists so that way they can choose to opt out of one while remaining in the other?

Is there a better way to handle this scenario?

#5 benchmarkandy

benchmarkandy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

I tasked our Deliverability Expert for this answer. Here's what he said:

In this case, the best option would be to have two separate lists. One for your normal newsletter, and one for your agent newsletter.

Here are some quick steps to make this easy for you:

1. Create a contact list and title it something appropriate such as "Master List". Every active contact that you have should be present in this list.

2. Edit the contact list details by navigating to your contact list dashboard, clicking on the name of the list, then clicking on "Edit" in the contact list activities box.
  -Give your list an alias that a recipient will understand, such as "App Newsletter".

3. Create another contact list and title it "Agents Only"; give this list an alias of "Agent Newsletter". Fill this contact list with all of your agents.

Every email that is sent via Benchmark Email contains a link in the footer that says "Manage Subscription". Any recipient can click on this link and see which lists they are currently assigned too. They will not however be able to see the lists that they are not assigned to.

The final step in this process is optional, but may be a nice gesture for your agents:

1. Create an email and assign it to the "Agents Only". In this email, explain that you have assigned the user to receive both types of emails, and that they can unsubscribe via the "Manage Subscription" Link at any time. Just note that they will not be able to add themselves back to the list once removing themselves.

Hope this helps!

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users